Newborn & Infant Sleep Strategies
How to Get Your 9-Month Old Sleeping Through the Night
In order to get your 9-month old sleeping through the night we need to talk about routine.
I hear this so often, “my 9-month old won’t sleep through the night” from my overly tired moms. And, the first place I begin to dive into is ROUTINES.
In order to get your 9-month old sleeping through the night let’s look at a few routine changes that will help the process go smoothly and help the transition happen sooner rather than later.
Increase Daytime Calories
Begin the process of night time weaning. You need to naturally increase daytime calories so that night time calories naturally decrease. A hungry baby won’t sleep through the night but a well nourished 9-mo old is able to rest. The increase in daytime calories will produce the fullness your 9-mo old needs to sleep through the night.
Break Sleep Associations
There needs to be a weaning of sleep associations that are hindering independent sleep. It’s important to note that not all sleep associations are problematic, and what works for one family may not work for another. However, if parents want their child to learn how to self-soothe and sleep independently through the night, it may be necessary to gradually wean them off of certain sleep associations.
Some of these associations could be:
- Feeding to sleep: If a baby is used to falling asleep while nursing or taking a bottle, they may have trouble falling back asleep on their own when they wake up in the middle of the night.
- Rocking or bouncing to sleep: Similarly, if a baby is used to being rocked or bounced to sleep, they may struggle to settle themselves without this motion.
- Pacifier use: While pacifiers can be helpful for soothing babies, if a baby relies on one to fall asleep and cannot replace it themselves when it falls out during the night, they may wake up frequently looking for it.
- Co-sleeping: Infants who are used to sleeping with a parent or caregiver may have difficulty transitioning to sleeping alone in their own crib.
The good news about transitioning your 9-month old to sleep through the night:
The process of helping your 9-month old sleep through the night can be done as slowly or as quickly as mom & dad are comfortable with- – and also going at a pace that baby can tolerate.
And, as a note, there are MANY options besides the CIO (cry it out) method to move baby toward independent sleep. Sometimes it can be as simple as changing sleep hygiene- – that alone can make a big difference.
It's okay to need hands on support!
If you are not sure which route is the best for your baby and family reach out for a consultation. Everyone’s situation is different and what works for some families won’t work for all.
I’d love to support you and help you get your 9-month-old baby sleeping through the night.
Below are the packages I offer. Find the one that works for you and click LEARN MORE.
Look forward to helping you and your baby get some much-needed rest!
Packages for 0-3 Years:
I will help to prepare you for bringing home your sweet new baby and help you to start off on the right foot.
You will learn how to utilize the first 4 months of your baby’s life to slowly, naturally, organically start laying a healthy sleep foundation.
If you want to avoid the blur of sleep deprivation and uncertainty of being a new parent this program is for you!
Whether you have a baby that is already on the path to healthy sleep or you have not yet begun to implement sleep fundamentals, this is a GREAT age to start. Your baby is now developmentally capable of sleeping in long stretches and taking in his calories during the day. This program is for you if you have a baby that has not yet learned how to sleep independently and needs some consistency and structure in his day and his nights.
(15 months – 3 years)
The toddler years can be some of the absolute best and the absolute hardest. If your toddler is boundary-pushing around sleep times or has just never been a good sleeper now is the time to tackle sleep once and for all. Toddlers, more than any other age, need clear expectations surrounding sleep. They require full emotional tanks and parents who hold strong boundaries making them feel safe and secure.
As a faith-based entrepreneur who believes strongly in the power of God to restore and heal, I believe wholeheartedly in helping people that currently don’t have the means to help themselves so they can heal and become the whole person that God intended, and then can go on to help others do the same.
Beauty From Ashes Ranch is a faith-based nonprofit organization that is building a long-term holistic care facility for rescued children ages 11-17 years old who are survivors of sex trafficking.
10% of every dollar made will be donated to The Beauty from Ashes Ranch to help young girls heal from the trauma of Sex trafficking.
Consultation + 6 weeks of follow up support: $525
+ Add-on 6 weeks follow up support: $325
Now is the time… Sleep begets sleep and sleeplessness begets sleeplessness.
While it’s easiest to establish healthy sleep habits from the beginning sometimes parents end up with an older baby who has never learned the skill of sleep or had age-appropriate sleep boundaries in place. This could be due to medical issues when the baby was young or simply lack of knowledge or misinformation. Regardless of the reasons why, it’s never too late to start. You can begin today to give your child the sleep he/she so desperately needs.
Your Title Goes Here
- Initial Sleep Evaluation prior to consultation – This gives me an overview of your sleep situation and allows me to begin developing a plan before we meet
- 90 Minute Virtual Zoom Consultation Call –I will help you decode your baby’s sleep. We will discuss your baby and his specific sleep challenges. I will walk you through a plan for how to get from where you are today to a baby that can go to sleep and stay asleep independently. For most babies this age, sleeping through the night happens very quickly as they are truly hungry for sleep.
- Custom Sleep Plan – This is a sleep plan that will teach you the specific steps that will help your baby to move forward in his sleep and stop resisting. I will walk you through the components of independent sleep and teach you how they all work together to promote peaceful rest. Your baby will learn that it truly feels so good to sleep!
- Age-appropriate Sleep Guides – These guides will help you to know how to handle the many changes, transitions, and bumps in the road that happen during the first 15 months of life
- Nursery Assessment – We will discuss light, sound, temperature and overall room setup to make sure that your baby has an optimal sleep environment.
- Follow-up Support – This is absolutely essential to your long-term success and I am here for you every step of the way. I make myself available through email, phone, and text so you can get your questions answered in a timely manner. You will never get stuck or be unsure what to do in any given situation. I am 100% committed to your success and know that follow-up support is essential.
- 2 Email Threads – To be used within 6 months of initial consultation.
Not ready to invest in a package?
Just need some troubleshooting or tweaking?
Then booking a consultation call may be the best fit for you! You are able to purchase as many hours as you like and whatever you don’t use for consultation time will be saved for you to use for follow-up support.
Please note that I cannot squeeze a comprehensive consultation into one hour. You will need to purchase 2 hours. This will leave you with roughly ½ hour for follow-up support.
Ask Me Anything Session
Do you just have a few random questions you’d like my expertise on? Book a 30 Minute call where we discuss your targeted concerns with your child’s sleep journey.
1 hour of sleep support
If you are unsure what service is the best fit for you or if you simply have questions that you would like to ask please schedule a free discovery call with me.