Newborn, Toddler, and Parent Sleep Strategies
Tips to Help Parents Sleep Through the Night
Sleep training is more than just helping babies have healthy sleep habits, it’s also there to give parents tips to help parents sleep through the night as well.
When I’m working with parents and helping them get their newborn, infant, and/or toddler to have healthy sleep patterns I often hear from one (or both) parents, “I can’t sleep!” It’s a cry of exasperation and exhaustion!
My job as a sleep consultant for newborns, infants, and toddlers is to also support parents as well. Today we are going to look at tips to help you, the parent, sleep at night.
Here are my tips to help parents sleep through the night:
- Limit daytime caffeine and sugar. I know you feel like you need it for survival right now but it’s the thing keeping you from sleep. Limiting these chemicals will give your body the ability to settle into rest mode quicker.
- Creating a hard stop for your night is an important part of helping yourself get a good night’s rest. Having a ‘lights out’ time for the house sets a boundary for when your body needs to prepare to wind down and relax. You should commit to setting the ‘lights out’ time no later than an
- Begin a good ‘before bedtime’ hygiene routine. This routine should start at least 1-hour before you want to be in bed asleep.
- Plan on 30 minutes to fall asleep and prepare accordingly.
- White noise, ear plugs, and an eye mask are your BFFs as sensory deprivation is a must when trying to sleep! These things help us shut out the world and shut down our brains and bodies.
- Use essential oils on the bottoms of feet and behind the neck as well as diffusing in the bedroom. (My favorites are Balance and Vetiver by Doterra).
- Read a book, Do some breath work, pray, meditate or whatever helps to calm your mind and central nervous system.
And, as sleep training parents, here are the primary ways to support sleep training habits as a family unit:
- Tag team with your partner/spouse so you can have a night off to just sleep if you have a baby that is still waking. This alone can alleviate a TON of anxiety. Even if baby is sleeping, sleeping in a different room so you can be “off duty” can be especially helpful as you are trying to get your body to begin to be able to sleep again.
- Only use a monitor if you truly can’t hear your baby if he/she cries. Sleeping with a monitor at full volume with the screen on is going to keep you in a state of alertness all night long. If your room is so far away from your baby that you have to use a monitor, keep it on another side of your bedroom, turn the volume to low, and keep the screen off.
If you’ve found yourself on google typing “I can’t sleep,” I know the exhaustion is real.
My job is to support you and your kiddos to help you all transition into a well-rested family. I hope these tips brought a bit of hope for your fatigue!
It's okay to need hands on support!
If you are not sure which route is the best for your rest as your are supporting rest for your family reach out for a consultation. Everyone’s situation is different and what works for some families won’t work for all.
I’d love to support you and help you ditch the phrase “I can’t sleep through the night!”
Below are the packages I offer for kiddos. If those apply to you and your family definitely reach out.
If you scroll a bit further down you’ll see an option for a more custom call. Whatever you need, I’m here to support you and your family toward rest!
Look forward to helping you and your kiddos get some much-needed rest!
Packages for 0-3 Years:
I will help to prepare you for bringing home your sweet new baby and help you to start off on the right foot.
You will learn how to utilize the first 4 months of your baby’s life to slowly, naturally, organically start laying a healthy sleep foundation.
If you want to avoid the blur of sleep deprivation and uncertainty of being a new parent this program is for you!
Whether you have a baby that is already on the path to healthy sleep or you have not yet begun to implement sleep fundamentals, this is a GREAT age to start. Your baby is now developmentally capable of sleeping in long stretches and taking in his calories during the day. This program is for you if you have a baby that has not yet learned how to sleep independently and needs some consistency and structure in his day and his nights.
(15 months – 3 years)
The toddler years can be some of the absolute best and the absolute hardest. If your toddler is boundary-pushing around sleep times or has just never been a good sleeper now is the time to tackle sleep once and for all. Toddlers, more than any other age, need clear expectations surrounding sleep. They require full emotional tanks and parents who hold strong boundaries making them feel safe and secure.
As a faith-based entrepreneur who believes strongly in the power of God to restore and heal, I believe wholeheartedly in helping people that currently don’t have the means to help themselves so they can heal and become the whole person that God intended, and then can go on to help others do the same.
Beauty From Ashes Ranch is a faith-based nonprofit organization that is building a long-term holistic care facility for rescued children ages 11-17 years old who are survivors of sex trafficking.
10% of every dollar made will be donated to The Beauty from Ashes Ranch to help young girls heal from the trauma of Sex trafficking.
Not ready to invest in a package?
Just need some troubleshooting or tweaking?
Then booking a consultation call may be the best fit for you! You are able to purchase as many hours as you like and whatever you don’t use for consultation time will be saved for you to use for follow-up support.
Please note that I cannot squeeze a comprehensive consultation into one hour. You will need to purchase 2 hours. This will leave you with roughly ½ hour for follow-up support.
Ask Me Anything Session
Do you just have a few random questions you’d like my expertise on? Book a 30 Minute call where we discuss your targeted concerns with your child’s sleep journey.
1 hour of sleep support
If you are unsure what service is the best fit for you or if you simply have questions that you would like to ask please schedule a free discovery call with me.